Click to resize the text + -
Nebraska State Fire Marshal

Scott Cordes, State Fire Marshal

General Information

All Firework Retail license applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, June 8th at 11:59 PM CDT per the state statute's 10 business day requirement (Monday, June 19th is a holiday).

The State Fire Marshal’s office is responsible for licensing and regulating the sale of Class C fireworks and public displays of Class B fireworks in the state. Fireworks may only be sold between June 24 and July 5 on a JULY License OR between December 28 and January 1 on a DECEMBER License each year unless a local government enacts different restrictions.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to be aware of regulations, both at the state level and locally, and ensure the application is submitted in plenty of time for processing.

Effective January 1, 2013, firework applications must be submitted via the online system. Any application submitted on paper form will be returned. Payment must be made with a credit card, debit card, or electronic check.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has changed the classification of fireworks. When we refer to Class B fireworks, the new DOT classification is 1.1 if the shells have a diameter of 10 inches or more; or 1.3 if the diameter of the shell is less than 10 inches. Class C fireworks are now referred to as consumer fireworks or 1.4 by the DOT. Novelty fireworks are exempt from hazardous labeling requirements.