Flammable Liquids Storage Tanks
What We Do
The Flammable Liquids Storage Tanks (FLST) section of the Fuels Division has several responsibilities regarding aboveground and underground fuel tanks. These responsibilities include:
- The registration and inspection of underground petroleum and hazardous substance storage tanks in accordance with Title 159.
- The registration of aboveground hazardous substance storage tanks in accordance with Title 158.
- Issuance of permits to install and remove underground storage tanks in accordance with Title 159.
- Issuance of permits to install aboveground petroleum storage tanks in accordance with Title 153, Chapter 17.
- Licensing of contractors and certification of individuals to do underground storage tank work in accordance with Title 159, Chapter 3.
The state is divided into six inspection areas – West, Southwest, Central, Northeast, South Central, and East. In addition to these areas, nine delegated authority cities/areas also inspect tanks and issue permits in their jurisdiction - Bellevue, Boys Town, Grand Island, LaVista/Papillion, Lincoln, University of Nebraska (Kearney, Lincoln, and Omaha), Norfolk, North Platte, and Omaha.
The Tank Program inspects all UST facilities for compliance with rules and regulations; inspects all new underground tank and piping installations, and existing tank removals; investigates reported or suspected releases and requires appropriate action be taken; and submits reports to the Department of Environmental Quality.